Friday, January 6, 2012

Siriously Though...

I don't have an iPhone 4S, and yes, I too am bit jealous of those who do. I also cant deny that Siri, the wisdom offering voice of the iPhone 4s is an exciting feature, but I'm not sure how excited I am about the potential our future holds where we're all going to be surrounded by people talking to their phones, trying to find directions, or the closest Sushi restaurant. It's one thing to overhear conversations between people in public… but between person and the artificial intelligence of the robotic-voiced Siri… ummm ya, the thought of it seems kinda scary...right?! 
 I don’t know about all of you, but I have already experienced the dinner scenario where someone brought out their new 4S to introduce us all to Siri (which was obvi followed by a Siri demonstration) "Siri, where am I?" "Siri, what's the meaning of life?"
Siri thinks... and then responds... and then Everyone is in awww-“Let me try!?” “Im next, I'm next, I want to ask Siri a question!” Which leads us to more gab and laughter and then over to the website Shit That Siri Says and then more sitting around asking random silly questions--and having to hear Siri respond; I mean after all Siri understands what you say, knows what you mean and even talks back… right… but is this wisdom-offering voice of the iPhone really all shes cracked up to be?? Spirit Mag offered up its 2 cents on the topic which really got me thinking... as well as feeling better about the fact that my iPhone is a bit out of date (an inevitable Apple user occurrence). In the Tell Me Something column, Siri and her “advice” are put to the test against the age old Miss Manners, the expert who reminds us that grace, good manners and good sense are timeless classics. So while I am guilty of sitting around and laughing at Siri’s senselessness, this light hearted article simply served as a little reminder to not feel so bad that I live a Siri-less life, I still have Miss Manners {even if she isn't a voice right in the palm of my hand}
Siri vs. Miss Manners












My Q: I cant afford to give my friend an engagement party present, a bridal shower present and a wedding present. Is that ok?
MM: Your questions is not so much whether engagement presents are correct-presents are always correct, with or without occasions- but whether they are obligatory or even customary. The answer is no. Engagements are rarely long enough nowadays to permit two shopping expeditions.

SIRI: I found a number of gift shops fairly close to you.
But I cant afford it.
SIRI: I don’t know what you mean by “But I cant afford it”
My Q:What do you say if someone you don’t like give you a compliment?
MM: Thank you
SIRI: Its nice of you to ask, but it really doesn’t matter what I think.
Why not?
SIRI: I don’t know. Frankly, I have wondered that myself.    
My Q: What's the right way to eat bacon?
MM: The correct way is with a fork. Limp greasy bacon is easily eaten this way but not worth eating. Crisp bacon is delicious, but impossible to eat this way. Life is often like that, but its a shame it has to be that way at breakfast time.
SIRI: I found 12 restaurants with "Bacon" in the reviews fairly close by.

My Q: What is the etiquette on a crowded bus? If a little old lady hits me in the shins, may I kick back?
MM: It is rare, nowadays, to have a deep-seated, well-motivated sensual urge that you are forbidden to gratify. However, Miss Manners must tell you that kicking little old ladies in the shins in one of them. Scream "Ow!" and stare at her with a frightened expression.
SIRI: How about a web search for "Who kicked me first?" 

and there you have it...  


No comments:

Post a Comment