Monday, January 9, 2012

New Year, New You {meh not so much}...

When it comes to New Years, resolutions are overrated. I believe that if you're ready and want to make a life change, it is up to you to commit to that goal and simply follow through (or do your best to). It shouldn't make a difference if its the middle of July, no matter what the resolution may be, vowing to make a change simply because it’s time to toss out the old calendar doesn't suffice as grounds for motivation.
Last year, sometime in the middle of March, I made the  resolution to adopt a rigorous gym regime (while it may not have started off as such, that is what it has become). I have since succeeded in making this a permanent part of my daily life. In turn the frequency of my shopping excursions has skyrocketed and somewhere along the line I sold my soul to forever 21 for 5 cute dresses (each of which fell apart within just a few months) thus I have decided to resolute to adopt a less-is-more motto {in regards to shopping.} While I know it is unreasonable to completely nix my shopping habits I plan to make a conscious effort to shop from here on out with this new less-is-more motto in mind. Simply put, this just means I will (try) only invest in high-quality pieces which serve to stand the test of time and vow to quit buying into the short-lived trends of forever 21 (dont worry XXI I wont abandon you completely as I am forever a fan, however Im throwing in the towel for the time being). This so called resolution isn't completely senseless and shallow because if you had any idea how many times I have hit up the mall just to grab something new to wear even out to the bar that evening you would realize this is ultimately a money saving resolution. With that said, this doesn't mean Im headed out to saks and neimans to start spending top dollar on a new black cashmere sweater just because its has potential to be a  timeless classic piece, but does mean i will only shop if need be and i also vow to be absolutely ok with wearing something more than once. So... I guess what Im saying here is, that my New Years resolution is to change my shopping philosophy in that it will become one of a less-is-more mindset rather than one that is fueled for immediate gratification... 

No comments:

Post a Comment