Thursday, November 14, 2013

Im thinking of a number...

Lets play a game! I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 100... Its an even number... It starts with a “th,”  and ends with a “y,” Oh yeah and it rhymes with “dirty.” If you happened to guess 30, you are correct (not that the above pic didn't give it away or anything)! I'm turning 30 this weekend, gracefully you hear and I will be the first to welcome myself to the club!
 
The truth is I have been anticipating this day with both dread and excitement. I think Im supposed to be freaking out or something according to those around me and their long winded reactions "th-irty huh! Wow! Big Birthday!"  And as I watch the last decade of my life fade into what seems to be some form of a mental rearview mirror, I can’t help but feel like I’m leaving an old friend behind... but only for a new adventure. 
 
My 20s were eventful, tough at times (but such is life), I made mistakes, and made some friends. I learned to cook and learned to take chances. I met an amazing man and rekindled some fizzling friendships and I am excited about my years to come! 
  
I've used the past 10 months to wrap my brain around the inevitable, but also to do my homework in enlisting my trusty friend Google to help me welcome this big day with open arms! So in no particular order the following is my web roundup of insightful advice to assist me in making this impending transition!

Oliva Wilde put it best! Do reap the benefits of accumulated wisdom. You're 30 after all. You know stuff now. Now you get to live with that knowledge under your belt. Also, make it a nice belt. You're 30. Stop dressing like a hobo.

If you lean in and meet life half way you can tango. Sometimes beautifully and often times like you have two left feet. Life has its incredible ups and downs, but for the most part we live in between the two extremes. Thank you Patrick Furlong, eloquently put.

Meg Jay's rhetoric that "30 is the new 20" trivializes what is actually the most transformative period of our adult lives is right on! 30 is NOT the new 21. And if you haven't watched her TED talk, please do!  

It important to know by this point in your life who you can trust, who you can’t, and why you shouldn’t take things personally.

Its still ok to channel your inner nine-year-old self and get excited about going to Disneyland and holidays like Halloween and Christmas as long as you continue putting one foot in front of the other.   

If you haven’t realized it already, than its time to recognize the obvious. Nobody gets away with smoking, drinking, doing drugs, or not flossing for very long. So pick a healthy habit and stick to it.

I plan on treating 30 like any other birthday. I'm going to put on a fun dress, have dinner with some close friends and family, drink myself silly with a little champagne and then tuck myself in, all the while being content with not knowing what is going to happen next.
So when I wake up on Sunday morning, I plan on channeling Molly Ringwald in Sixteen Candles and yet as I study myself in the mirror instead of looking for breasts, I will be searching for wrinkles. After all I'm turning 30, that's what you're supposed to do right (wink wink)!


 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment