Thursday, August 23, 2012

A Photo Worth 1,000 Calories: Meal Snap


 
Its no secret I'm a fan of working out (and yes, as I have admitted before… this is a borderline obsession but honestly now, I enjoy it, its good for me and it keeps me happy and feeling good) nonetheless, a person can work out 7 days a week and even twice a day, but if you’re not maintaining a healthy/balanced diet than you probably are not seeing your desired results. I can honestly say I have never been one to utter those 4 (what I refer to as) empty words, those words being I’m on a diet… I don’t believe diets work for me and I certainly am not one to count calories all day long, points or no points. I must however admit that I work out pretty hard and daily for that matter yet I'm not completely satisfied with my level of results as of lately…  A reevaluation is in order. I am fully aware that the focus of this reevaluation, for me, needs to be directed at my "diet".  Recently I decided to try keeping a food journal… No, not like one of those annoying ones people carry around the gym tracking their every step and every lb they lift, but a photo food journal. And what do you know, there's an App for that! That app is called MealSnap and this little technological food photo snapper/calorie counter is seriously “magic” at my finger tips!
If you re not buying the legitimate calorie results this app yields, you're not the only one... but check it out for yourself... you just might be impressed! 
   
It has been an excellent tool this past week and a half which has helped me get a good idea of how many calories I'm actually eating during the day (and trust me when I say this can be a real eye opener). We have all heard things like "Abs are made in the kitchen and not in the gym" as well as "in order to loose weight you must burn more calories during the day than you consume" and as much as these words may be true, I must say, that having to take a picture of every meal or snack I'm consuming throughout the day has made me far more conscious of the types of and amounts of food I am consuming, than any quote fact or article that has ever crossed my path. Meal Snap has forced me to instantly become more in tune with the food choices I am making… I'm not using this app to put myself on a diet by any means, but more so using it help myself make the necessary adjustments I need to in order to break the plateau I feel I have hit.
 
If you were to seek a consultation with a nutritionist, the first thing he or she would have you do is start a food diary. Feeling better can be as simple as eating better and the same goes for looking better too. Meal Snap isn’t going to teach you how to eat, but if you ask yourself the right questions about the food you are consuming it really almost comes down to common sense… At the end of the day I'm confident that we could all write the book “Eat This Not That…” Take a look below at a day in the life of my meal snap!
 
{I love that Meal Snap kinda holds you accountable for all your meals during the day! Apparently I missed lunch on the day pictured above...}
With the continued advancement in all this high wired gear from smart phones to game systems to 3D flat screens there is certainly a biased view out there that all this is troubling to the health of society with the potential of making us fat... I believe it can go either way...
Recently when asked “How does technology aid in health and fitness goals?”  Jillian Michaels answered:
Technology is the key to success in health and fitness goals for one very simple and obvious reason: It provides accurate and unbiased information that people can utilize to take effective, informed action that's going to yield powerful results and positive change. Without the proper information, you're going to be lost like a ship at sea.

{this is not a a meal snap mash up from me just another example via pinterest}
 
Meal snap, this camera powered calorie counter is awesome! I give this app 5 stars and highly recommend it to anyone trying to adjust their eating habits!  

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I need this app in my life. Awesome post and great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unquestionably believe that which you stated. Your favorite justification seemed to be on the nnet the simplest thing too
    be aware of. I say to you, I definitely get irked while people think about worries thqt they just
    do not know about. You managed to hit the nail upon the top and also defined out the whole
    thing without having side-effects , people could take a signal.
    Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

    Also visit my homepage - Tooth Whitening

    ReplyDelete