Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Duped by Doping: Armstrong's "Confession" Session

Vindication... Frustration... Forgiveness... For months I have beenmesmerized by the unraveling details within the storyof seven-time Tour de France champion, Lance Armstrong and his use of performanceenhancing drugs. I am actually rather conflicted in regards to how I feel (or how Ishould feel) about Armstrong’s situation… (if you're not familiar with the story check it out here. Or even check out the 91 page affidavit here) Should I follow my internal empatheticinstincts and continue to feel sorry for him Or should I be cringing at the very thought that I ever donned aLIVESTRONG bracelet on wrist (and yes, I did ha!) As I said, I have been mesmerized by thecomplexity of this story and this Thursday, the recently taped 2 part interviewbetween none other than Oprah Winfrey and this transcendent sports figure isset to air on OWN. Its rumored that the disgraced cyclist will come cleanduring this interview, that he will finally admit to using performance enhancingdrugs and blood doping, but I cant help but be curious about his true motivations to sit down with the O… Itfeels a bit premature if you ask me… Could he be looking for sympathy? Are hishopes clinging to the possibility of being reinstated? Is he looking for a pathto return to competition? Whatever his reasons may be, the layers of this story leave me without any clear answers yet. I will undoubtedly be watching Thursdays interview.

1 comment:

  1. I dunno if its the Cancer but for some reason the drug use doesn't seem so bad in his case. I say it might be the cancer, because when I hear of other celebrities using drugs to enhance their performance, I get agitated. But in his case, it is not bugging me as much as it should. Can't wait to see the interview.

    ReplyDelete