Monday, July 2, 2012

downtown LA state of mind

i am half-awake here waiting for my full throttle zero to kick in. Mondays kill me... especially after a good weekend. check it.

My weekend included…
                                             A whole lotta downtown LA!

I honestly cannot believe i am mere minuets from downtown and just experienced it sessence most recently. man o man do I have downtown la on the mind now! After a some sunny runyon canyon yoga with feisty yogi steve and a quick trip to the bev center to purchase some much needed dodger swag for a later weekend endeavor {more on that tomorrow} cheebo was obvi the spot for a pre party night power lunch. No big deal, but I spent my lunch hour brushing shoulders with the lovely jonah hill!

And the rest of my Saturday went a little something like this…

The Standard roof top bars simply rock  
Sprinkled with a few boozie stragglers left behind from the afternoons pool party there was some quality people watching for my viewing pleasure as we sipped our cocktails & got the evening started. With perfect weather on our side and a few kettle sodas under our belt next we took our party right over Perch {again because roof top bars rock}   
 
Perch
{view of Pershing Square a top Perch}
While unlike the ostentatious poolside lounge crowning the bar at The Standard Hotel, Perch doesn't have a pool or red astroturf or gaggles of scantily clad partiers or a make-believe speak-easy…  What Perch does have is a fine cocktail program, an impressive selection of French wines a decadent French-inspired dinner menu, panoramic views, live music and is literally perched in front of Pershing Square. This is place I will make my way back to.
{not my capture but lovely to look at we literally sat at the table against the glass rail}

The Edison
 {i found love in a hopeless place... or at least i thought my love for dtla bar was hopeless...}
Tucked between an alley and hidden underground,  is The Edison. My words cannot do justice for the euphoric thrill this historic lounge/bar brings about. From your ascending entry down a grand central staircase the roar of 20’s music fills your head and you’re literally whisked away to a place unlike any on the bar scene in LA. Located in the sub-basement of the historic Higgins Building the Edison retains much of its original architectural and mechanical artifacts; just paying a little homage to its history as Downtown LA’s  first private power plant back in 1910. The true originality offered here plays perfectly into the industrial 20's décor.
{all you need is a little pixe dust...}
 From the absinthe toting pixie to the flappers dancing amidst the stage the Edison screams 1920’s American and is truly a swank trip back in time! You can catch me {and Rebecca} this coming Thursday back in time to check out the .35 cent depression era martini! But I will pass on the “Absinthe” this time for the following reason… @ $20 a vile  "Absinthe 75" which is: Absinthe, Lemon and Sugar cubes bathed in Champagne. pretty sure im better off with a simple glass of champagne.

No comments:

Post a Comment